2005 Cavalier Gauge Cluster - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2005 Cavalier Gauge Cluster
Sunday, December 07, 2008 1:28 PM
Hi all,

My name is Chris, I'm a car guy but not a Cavalier guy. My girlfriend has a 2005 Cavy (base model) w/ the 2.2L ecotec and her gauges have gone a little crazy. I have been reading about the issue and found this link which is quite appealing: http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=11&i=141208&t=141208#141208

It details replacing the stepper motors in the 00-05 gauge cluster and seems pretty simple. I want to do this for her for Christmas. I'm not worried about the soldering and I found the motors here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-02-03-04-05-GM-IMPALA-CAVALIER-STEPPER-MOTOR-X25-168_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1 Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem350125459877QQitemZ350125459877QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories and they're pretty cheap.

The one thing I am concerned with is the mileage. She has a digital odometer and I don't want to screw something up with her mileage. Is that something I need to worry about or is it stored somewhere else? I know many cars store it in the main ECU for this specific reason. If I screw up the repair I will be buying her a new cluster but that still brings up concerns about the milage. Will it transfer over to a new cluster if needed? Is there a way to fix the mileage if it gets messed up? I don't want to kill the resale value of her car because she will eventually sell it.

Other than that, I just noticed that the above post was just made today. Has anyone else done this repair and was it successful? Let me know your thoughts/opinions.

Thanks!

Chris

Re: 2005 Cavalier Gauge Cluster
Sunday, December 07, 2008 1:35 PM
The mileage is stored in the BCM, so you dont have to worry about screwing up her mileage. The most common fix for clusters acting up is to just replace the whole thing. With 00+ clusters if you take the needles off there is a 99ish% chance that they wont read correctly.

Clusters are cheap enough and easy enough to replace that all that extra work isnt worth it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, December 07, 2008 1:42 PM

Sunday, December 07, 2008 1:57 PM
Well, getting them to read correctly isn't hard. Whenever I've worked with gauges before I've always just marked the gauges with an erasable pen or a pencil before I moved them. Hell, if it's off by 1-2mph it's better than being off by the 60mph it is now...lol

And if it works, it's $20 vs. $60 or $70 for a whole new cluster. Plus it will be kinda fun to just give her a box w/ these 4 motors in it cause she will have no clue what they are and will be really confused

If it doesn't work I will buy a new cluster but I'm willing to risk the $20-$25 for the experience. I was mainly just worried about the mileage so thanks for that advice
Sunday, December 07, 2008 6:05 PM
Sunday, December 07, 2008 10:06 PM
That one has no tach. LIke I said it doesn't matter if I screw it up I'll just get another cluster, all I wanted to know was where the mileage was stored. I'm willing to try my hand at this and see if it works. I will post back my results after xmas.
Monday, December 08, 2008 12:03 PM
swap a new one/ end of discussion.

i have swapped a bunch of them into different cavs/fires

my 00 cav sits with a 2002 sunfire cluster right now
my friends 01 cav (no tach) has a completely functional 2001 sunfire cluster (w/tach)
my other friend has a 2001 cavalier cluster in his 2000 cavalier

all work flawlessly. resale value should only be affected if you swap from sunfire/cavalier or back. if you swap sunfire to sunfire or cavalier to cavalier nobody will ever know.
Tuesday, December 09, 2008 9:23 AM
Damn this is the most opinionated forums I've ever posted on. I'm a fix-it kinda guy. I like soldering things and it gives me a bit more satisfaction to know I actually fixed the problem myself vs just replacing the cluster. If I was doing it just for functionality then sure I could just replace the cluster and call it a day but I like a challenge and wouldn't mind learning a thing or two about how the stepper motors work anyway. LIkewise, this is an issue for LOTS of other GM vehicles and the clusters for some of those vehicles (i.e. hummer) are not so easy to come buy and are definitely not as cheap. If I can learn how to do this I could save other people money if they need to replace the motors in other vehicles since it's all the same procedure.

I'm really amazed, I am a member of a lot of forums and this is the first one where I've seen people post against taking on a challenge and ALSO attack someone for posting useful information! It certainly doesn't have anything to have it here because there's always someone who can use it.

Oh well, what do I know, I'm just a stupid n00b.

I already ordered the motors anyway so I'll let you know how it goes.
Tuesday, December 09, 2008 9:32 AM
Most people here are to lazy to replace the motors. They just replaced the cluster. Just watch the piece of @!#$ needles.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, December 09, 2008 12:19 PM
Chris, in fairness there was only one poster that criticized the information and initially only questioned the need to make it a sticky. The author then responded with a fairly arrogant critique of the forum in general followed by lame insults and the discussion's integrity and maturity plummeted. I've seen here that if enough forum members respond that an item should be a sticky, it becomes one based on that feedback and the admin's decision. If not, it doesn't. And, I've never seen a case where a new contributor endeared himself to a forum by criticizing it or other established members. I make it a point to do neither when I visit a forum as I realized long ago that no one is obligated to care what I think or say and I don't feel a need to try and make them. (And, I'm a stupid noob too.) That being said, was the cluster repair information useful to me? I think so, and I'll remember how to search for it if I have a need in the future. Take care. - Mark

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 12:32 PM
I guess you're right. I'd be surprised if the entire forum was like that. BTW I wasn't criticizing the forum, I just said it was opinionated which it seems to be based on the responses I've gotten so far to this thread (namely the "/ end of discussion" comment posted above). That's quite dismissive and not very helpful at all.

Either way no offense but to be honest I'm not terribly worried about what people here think of me because I'll probably never post here again after this...lol I only joined because I needed to ask that one question...I don't even own a Cavalier

Also, I can't type apparently. The grammar in my post above was ridiculous but I was in a rush so whatever...haha - thanks for the help guys.
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 9:05 AM
ThePistonDoctor wrote:Damn this is the most opinionated forums I've ever posted on. I'm a fix-it kinda guy. I like soldering things and it gives me a bit more satisfaction to know I actually fixed the problem myself vs just replacing the cluster. If I was doing it just for functionality then sure I could just replace the cluster and call it a day but I like a challenge and wouldn't mind learning a thing or two about how the stepper motors work anyway. LIkewise, this is an issue for LOTS of other GM vehicles and the clusters for some of those vehicles (i.e. hummer) are not so easy to come buy and are definitely not as cheap. If I can learn how to do this I could save other people money if they need to replace the motors in other vehicles since it's all the same procedure.

I'm really amazed, I am a member of a lot of forums and this is the first one where I've seen people post against taking on a challenge and ALSO attack someone for posting useful information! It certainly doesn't have anything to have it here because there's always someone who can use it.

Oh well, what do I know, I'm just a stupid n00b.

I already ordered the motors anyway so I'll let you know how it goes.

sorry you feel that way... the reason we dont usually go for the motor, is because if you put the needle back on wrong, it will be off by a lot. and if the connection comes loose, you have to do it again, if the motor is bad, your also back to square one.

please let us know how it turns out

also, some of the GM clusters cannot be repaired at all, they are a "one time use" item and need replaced. the cavalier gives you a nice choice, but its much easier to replace it, THEN fool around with the extra one you now have in your possesion

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 9:07 AM
and regardless of how my comment came off, it wasnt meant to sound arrogant. but it is MUCH MUCH more convenient to swap if you dont even own a cavalier. lol i dont understand why you wouldnt want to keep the other one around as a spare. it happens so often.
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:21 AM
My apologies to both of you. My comments were intended for the "Gauges Failing" thread that degraded quickly and unnecessarily. Even when personalities don't mesh, good information can still get through. I hope that I don't have chronic instrument problems with my J, but I recently found a correct '99 cluster for a spare. (The '99's seem to be less plentiful than the '00 and up.) Take care and once again, I apologize. - Mark

Friday, December 12, 2008 9:35 PM
Chris,

I had an LED out in my 2001 cluster. I took it apart, needles off, to fix the LED.

I soldered the LED on no problem, put the needles back in, just how they were lined up when I pulled them.

Now none of the 4 needles move whatsoever.

When I put the needles back in they were very tough to move. I guess I put them in wrong somehow.

Basically,

I'm going to be looking for a new cluster.

Hope this information helps....and no, I don't post on here very often either...
Monday, December 22, 2008 9:55 AM
I swapped my cluster yesterday.

The mileage is stored in the BCM so it came up correct.

However, not like this is a big deal, but just to make a note of it, the trip meter is in the cluster haha.

Thank god none of the LED's were burnt out!

It was all plug and play...$45 off ebay shipped.
Saturday, December 27, 2008 5:58 AM
Hi guys, I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a quick question regarding this cluster swap. I did mine a month ago, pretty straight forward, couple of lights were burnt out so I replaced whole unit with one from a recycling yard. Anywho, my question is...did anyone else who has done this have the light for the odometer not work. Well I guess tech. it prolly isn't a light so much as the digits are almost none readable as they are really dim. Can only see them when the sun hits the dash at a certain angle. I was wondering if I did something wrong putting the cluster back in, seemed pretty simple tho. plug and play.
Thanks and again sorry for the hijack!!!!
Sunday, December 28, 2008 1:51 PM
Sounds to me like the odometer has a bad light inside it. The whole odometer unit is self-lit from an LED inside. If you took the cluster apart you would see what I mean. Probably not what you want to hear but it seems to me you will need another new cluster...lol
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search